Phone: 604-558-8778
Toll Free: 1-855-558-8778

Drinking and Driving/IRPs

Experienced IRP, Driving Prohibition, DUI, and drunk driving lawyer In Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey and Kelowna, BC

Mr. Filkow has successfully defended hundreds of Immediate Roadside Prohibitions (IRP) and other Driving Prohibition, and drinking and driving cases in British Columbia, which has some of the harshest drunk driving laws in Canada. He has a 25-year plus track record of achieving favourable results in defending DUI and Immediate Roadside Prohibition cases. Mr. Filkow is a leading authority on BC’s impaired driving laws.

If you are facing a DUI, impaired or drunk driving charge or been issued an Immediate Roadside Prohibition (IRP) or other Driving Prohibition, you need expert legal representation.

Call 24 hours at 604-558-8778.

Criminal charges and severe penalties for drinking and driving

Alternatively, drinking and driving incidents can result in criminal charges of Impaired Driving, blowing over the legal limit or refusing to provide a breath sample. In BC, criminal charges are generally laid when:

  • an accident is involved
  • there are injuries
  • there is a previous alcohol related driving record

The consequences of a criminal Impaired Driving conviction are severe, including a criminal record, a lengthy driving prohibition, and potential jail time.  Additionally, a criminal charge can be accompanied by a 90 day Administrative Driving Prohibition (ADP), which carries penalties similar to those of an IRP.

Your questions about IRP, Impaired Driving and Driving Prohibitions need expert answers

Many people issued an IRP or facing Impaired Driving or DUI charges for the first time feel overwhelmed and have many questions about drinking and laws – and their rights. Here are some of the more frequently asked questions:

  • I received a letter telling me I have to take the Responsible Driving Program and install an Ignition Interlock device in my car. Can I do anything about this?
  • How can a lawyer help me with an Immediate Roadside Prohibition?
  • What are the penalties associated with receiving an Immediate Roadside Prohibition?
  • What are the differences between a 24-hour, 3-day, 7-day, 30-day, and 90-day driving prohibition?
  • I was issued a driving prohibition by the police at the roadside. Can this be appealed?
  • The police officer said I refused to blow, but I disagree. What can I do?
  • My review of an Immediate Roadside Prohibition was unsuccessful. Is there anything I can do now?
  • I was arrested and given a Promise to Appear in Court for Impaired Driving. What does this mean for my family and me?
  • What defences are available to me for Impaired Driving?
  • The police officer said I was being arrested for blowing over .08. What does this mean?

Like all criminal cases, impaired driving cases have serious implications so you should have the best defence possible for your DUI, IRP or driving prohibition case. Mr. Filkow and his team of criminal lawyers in Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey and Kelowna, BC will ensure that you do. Mr. Filkow is a leading authority on British Columbia’s drinking and driving laws, including IRPs, impaired driving and driving prohibitions.

Our experienced criminal lawyers will provide the best possible defence and advice for your IRP, Impaired Driving, DUI and Driving Prohibition cases.